Sunday, January 5, 2014

Holidays in Uganda!


:: Because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death to guide our feet into the path of PEACE:: 
                                               -Luke 1: 78-79

Just like in the states, we here in Uganda have finished the holiday season. The holiday season I knew would be the hardest for me with missing home. Knowing all my family would be together, friends would be getting together, and houses lit up with lights. Though we didn't have lights around Acheru we did decorate the place with banners, balloons, and even a Christmas tree! 

For Christmas at Acheru Luke and I decided to once again serve a large meal for everyone here. We had many friends come and help with the cooking. Reacho, Auntie Maggie, and I spent the whole afternoon making chapatis (pretty much a tortilla). Luke, Tom, and some of the moms spent the afternoon making potatoes, chicken, and rice. It was nice to come together as a group and fix a meal together.

After lunch Luke and I passed out the presents we got for all the kids and caregivers. Again it was just a time for us to show our appreciation for all they do for us here. It was a lot of fun to watch the kids open their small gifts. They were so excited to receive their small gift. It was as if we had just given them a million dollars (or a million shillings here). 

At the end of the day I was humbled by how the community of Acheru came together to celebrate this day as a family. Even though I was missing family I had to remind myself that all of us here were away from our families. The patients were not able to go home, the staff had to stay here, and the caregivers could not go home. It was nice to come together as the Acheru family to celebrate this day!


Reacho and I making Chipatis!



Martin's family!

Since Catherine couldn't come to the celebration, I brought it to her.




For New Years I was at the Central Region's conference. Here all the missionaries with AIM in the central region (Uganda, South Sudan, Chad, Congo, Rwanda) got together. It was nice to all be around each other sharing in our struggles and our praises in our various ministries. Everyday the Lord was teaching me something new and I left feeling so encouraged and also challenged to really be a true disciple of Christ. 

I have now been back at Acheru for a few days. I have been spending most of my time with the patient Catherine. Right before Christmas Catherine fell off the swing and broke her leg that had just recently gone through a bone transfer. Due to the fixator on her leg we were not able to cast her leg. Our orthopedic officer, Johnson, had to come up with a way to keep her leg set so the broken bone could re-set itself. Unfortunately for Catherine this means she is on bed rest for at least 3 weeks. I have made it a priority of mine to spend time with Catherine each and every day. 

Catherine is a little girl who has had my heart since the day she arrived. I previously wrote a post inspired by her. I never have been able to really know where her heart lies with Jesus mainly because she speaks very little English. And then today as we were just sitting on her bed shading in different pictures of animals, she looks up at me with the biggest smile on her face and says "Jesus". That's all. Plain and simple. "Jesus". I took that opportunity to respond plain and simple "He loves you". Afterwards we spent about 5 minutes singing "Jesus loves me".  Only Christ knows where her heart lies but I will continue to pray that God will work in her heart and in her life in a miraculous way. 

Love this girl. Catherine.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting collection of Monster Energy cans on top shelf of kitchen cabinet!

    ReplyDelete