Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Story


"This is my story. This is my song. Praising my Savior all the day long."

Things are changing here at Acheru. Children who once were wheel chaired bound have now been given crutches to walk around with. Families have come. Families have gone. Families have returned.
Our nurse gave birth to a son. A playground was built. Through all these changes we still continue to praise our Savior. 

Lubowa (One of the boys I wrote about earlier) and his mother returned to Acheru today. They will be going back to Corsu (the hospital the children get their surgeries at) for review. When I saw him and his mother walk up behind the school building I dropped everything I was doing and ran to greet her. She opened her arms and embraced me in the biggest hug. We jumped around like 5 year old girls at the excitement of seeing each other again. 

I walked down into Kabembe to get some groceries. As I walked past a store I hear "Emily!" There in one of the dukas (small store) was the mother of Jonah (picture in previous post) getting her hair done. I leaned over the counter and exchanged greetings and conversations. Here in the middle of this village I felt like I was in my own neighborhood back home greeting a friend in the store. 

Before walking into town Jemimah's (another child I wrote about previously) sister handed me an envelope from her mother. Mama Jemimah was here at Acheru but had to return back to work for some time and has been away for a couple weeks. I opened the envelope from Mama Jemimah and inside was an invitation to a "Thanksgiving Party". A party to give thanks to everyone who has helped in Jemimah's recovery. As I read the invite tears starting coming to my eyes. I was overwhelmed by the idea that they thought of me and my roommates. That our relationships here have grown so strong that we were invited to come celebrate the life of this little girl with their closest friends and family.

Even though so many things change here at Acheru the relationships we have made here don't. The excitement of seeing each other never changes. Whether it has been weeks, months, or even just the day before when we last saw each other. Every morning when I walk out my door someone comes running towards me in excitement just to come and greet me.

That is my story here at Acheru. These relationships are what make my story here, and I praise God everyday for those relationships. 

Dennis and I waiting for the playground.

New playground! This was paid for by the team that was here at the beginning of the summer.

Me with Mama Enock and Mama Joshua

My superheroes!

Me with a few girls from the north. (Monica, Nancy, Doris, Scovia, and Juliet)

Me with Nancy and Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment