Thursday, November 7, 2013

Changes.


One of the many things I love watching here at Acheru is how the kids develop. Not just physically (though that is amazing to see), but emotionally as well.  When the kids first come to Acheru they typically are quiet, scared, unsure of the surroundings, unsure of these mzungus (white people) who are around. They sit and observe. They stay in their rooms clinging to their caregiver. Eventually they find a friend, they find their niche, and their personalities begin to come out. 

Kids who were once so quiet; so scared, become the jokesters, the ones who love to just sit and cuddle in your lap, the ones who come running to you to greet you in the mornings, the ones who smiles can light up your day. 

I notice this a lot in the kids who are in my classes. I love watching them grow in their education. They become more receptive to class, they see the progress they are making, and become excited to work at school. They become more vocal to me and it allows for us to build our relationship. 

Today a caregiver came up to me and thanked me for my work. This was different than the normal "well done, thanks for you work" greeting I get every morning. This time the Aunt went out of her way to thank me. I got to sit and talk with her about the progress her niece has made and she couldn't believe it. She was excited for her. 

God knew how I needed to hear those words today. He knew I needed words of encouragement. He knew that those small words would change my whole attitude towards my class for the day. He knows what these kids are going through and delights in the same smiles I delight in the mornings. He is with them through their fear, their uncertainty, and their physical pain. He rejoices in their growth, in their healing, and in their joy. 


Jonah and his sweet smile.

Teacher Emily with the boys!

This is Catherine. This blog post was in reference to her and the change she has made in her short few months here.

No comments:

Post a Comment