Sunday, August 4, 2013

If we are not serving others we can in turn not grow in ourselves.


My first week in Uganda is complete and it has been a week of many different emotions. When I first arrived to Uganda I was in Kampala attending orientation for Short Term Missions. I got time to spend with my roommates (Emmy and Aaron) and met the team that they had been with for the past six weeks. It was definitely good to have time to settle in and adjust to time, but I also found myself becoming very anxious and was just ready to be settled into my new home at Acheru.

Wednesday I arrived at Acheru late at night, after waiting four hours for our ride (Africa time indeed!). I set my stuff down and Emmy and Aaron brought me down to the center for greetings. The second they saw our mzungu faces (white faces), we were swarmed with hugs and welcomes. What a great way to feel right at home. I came back in and set my room up. 

                                                                                   The grounds at Acheru

Acheru is quite a different environment than what I have been used to. It's quiet. Here there are only about 20 or so kids here at the moment receiving various forms of treatment. A lot of the kids here are being treated for a recurring bone infection called Osteomyelitis. This infection causes the bone to deteriorate. If not caught in time the bone may actually begin to puncture the skin and begin growing out. The kids here have received surgery where they place what is called a "Fixator" on their bones.  This helps to refuse the bone and help the bone grow properly. Other kids are being treated for club feet, where they cast the children's feet to mold them back to proper form. Though these kids have fixators or cast on their legs/feet it definitely does not slow them down. I am amazed every day at what these kids are able to do. One child in particular came to Acheru and was wheel chaired bound. He had a severe case of Osteomyelitis. Two years later he is still at Acheru but is one of the most energetic and active kids here. He is also incredibly smart and passionate about worshipping. 
               
                                                              Colin, John, and Frances
                                              Frances, Resty, Joanne, Lillian, & Olivia at School
Painted Nails!

It is also different here because these kids come to Acheru with caregivers. So there are many more adults around than I have been used to. This is an area of relationship building I would like to improve. It has always been easy for me to build relationships with the children. Its my comfort zone and where I go to. I would love to be able to spend time with their caregivers and get to know what life has been like for them, and what they have had to struggle with. Today I was able to spend time with the mothers by painting their toes/fingers. They all were so excited and then we began a photoshoot with them and their children. 
Colin and his mama

Frances and his caregiver Harriet.


Language is different here as well. At GSF everyone spoke english. Here people are coming from all over Uganda. There are people who speak Luganda (the language of central uganda) and people who speak achuele (spell check..?) which is a language from the northern areas, or Lau (spell check again..) which is another language from the north. Some but not every speak English. So naturally this makes it harder to build relationships with the caregivers. 

The staff here at acheru are another group I really want to build relationships with. They are the constant here. Kids are being discharged here and there, and kids are arriving here and there. The staff stays. They are my neighbors here. My first week I have been observing what each staff members does in order to get a holistic idea of what Acheru does. There are nurses, physical therapist, a teacher, a casting doctor, administration, a cook, security guards, a tailor, and other various jobs. I continue to pray for the building of these relationships. Some of these staff members I will be able to visit their home churches which will be a good time to get to know them!

Lastly, my job here in Uganda has changed a bit since arriving. Acheru is a very well established place. Really they don't need us mzungus here but they appreciate the help and welcome us with loving arms. Emmy, Aaron, and I have decided that we would like to travel around Uganda with our field leader Julie. Julie travels around Uganda assessing villages, providing trainings, and making home visits for places with children with special needs. I am excited to be able to be more of a hands on part of her ministry. Julie pretty much does it all on her own. Acheru will be our home base and we will spend most of our time here. 

With all this said, I have enjoyed my first week here and I am excited to see what will happen in the next seven months. I"m excited to see what relationships will come to be and what my role here in Uganda will be.

Prayer Points:

1. To continually leave my comfort zone and spend time with the caregivers. Building relationships there.

2. My relationships with the staff here at Acheru.

3. Upcoming travels- On august 13 we will be traveling to Kampala for some home visits. On the 16th I will head back to GSF for a few days! I am so excited about this trip! After that we will visit the village of our tailor here (James) and do assessments in his village. Later in september will we travel to western uganda and later we will travel up north to the Karamjoa people.

No comments:

Post a Comment